The Ubuntu team announced the beta release of Ubuntu 23.04 “Lunar Lobster”, see what’s new in the next version of the popular Linux Distribution.
Ubuntu 23.04 is a short term release with 9-month support. Besides Desktop, Server and Cloud products, it also features 10 official flavors, including Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu Cinnamon, Ubuntu Kylin, Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Unity, and Xubuntu.
Ubuntu 23.04 is powered by the latest Linux Kernel 6.2 with most recent hardware and drivers support.
The disco image now uses the new installer wizard. It uses Flutter for faster and modern looking user interface.
The legacy installer is still available in case for any issue with the new installer.
Ubuntu 23.04 by default uses GNOME 44. It feautes:
- “background apps” option in System menu (Quick Settings), but only for Flatpak apps.
- Icon view in native file chooser.
- Redesigned Sounds, Mouse & Touchpad, Accessibility settings page.
- Display QR code in when enable Wifi hotspot.
- Support WireGuard VPN in network settings.
- Show firmware version and kernel version in ‘About’ page.
- Paste image from clipboard into image file.
See more about GNOME desktop version 44.
Other changes in Ubuntu 23.04 include, new default fonts, Python 3.11.2, Ruby 3.1 and other toolkit updates. See this page for more changes.
Download Ubuntu 23.04 Beta
For the server, desktop iso images and network install tarball, go to the link below:
To upgrade from previous Ubuntu editions, see the official guide.