MPV, the popular free open-source media player, released version 0.36 few days ago.
The new MPV 0.36 features Vulkan-based hardware decoding support for rendering video playback using your GPU.
The release also improved Linux Wayland support! It now supports fractional scaling, OSD, content-type protocols in Wayland. And, it fixed memory leak when working in wayland with multiple monitors.
MPV 0.36 also added new command options, they include:
- Global volume control via
- add –demuxer-hysteresis-secs option to save power with caching
- New option
Other changes include:
- add window-id, platform property
- support ARIB captions
- support mapping HDR10+ dynamic metadata
- allow screenshots in native colorspace
- add support for Vulkan-based hardware decoding
- support yuv420p format
- webdav:// and webdavs:// urls support.
How to Get MPV 0.36 in your Linux
For the source tarball, as well as the official release note, go:
For Debian 11/12 stable and Ubuntu 22.04 users, I have a step by step tutorial about how to install the mpv 0.36.