LMDE 6, the Linux Mint based on Debian 12 stable, was officially released after few weeks of beta testing.
LMDE, stands for Linux Mint Debian Edition, is to ensure Linux Mint would be able to continue if Ubuntu was ever to disappear.
LMDE 6, code-name “Faye”, uses Debian 12 Bookworm package base, Kernel 6.1, and features only Cinnamon 5.8 desktop environment.
The official release note doesn’t include any new features or changelog. According to my test, it’s almost same to Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon except for Kernel & Debian package base. The new features compare to LMDE 5, include:
- Multiple keyboard layouts support in login screen.
- Configurable on-screen keyboard layout.
- AVIF/HEIF and JXL, and color profiles support in Pix image viewer and organizer.
- XDG Desktop Portal support for better Flatpak app compatibility
- Light, Dark, and Mixed Theme styles, along with 14 accent colors.
- Touchpad/Touchscreen gestures support.
- Main menu is re-sizable by drag moving the edge.
Download LMDE 6
LMDE 6 provides 32-bit and 64-bit torrent images available to download at the link below:
And hardware requirements include:
- 2GB RAM (4GB recommended for a comfortable usage)
- 20GB of disk space (100GB recommended)
- 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).