Want to enable dark mode in Ubuntu 20.10 Gnome Desktop? Here’s how to get your desktop fully dark, including system tray menu, date & time menu, and notification pop-ups.
Settings offers an option to enable ‘Dark’ window colors in Appearance tab. It is however does not apply changes to following items:
- Top panel app menu.
- Date and time (calendar) drop down menu.
- System tray shutdown menu.
- Desktop right-click menu.
- Dock panel app icons’ right-click menu.
- And notification pop-ups.
They are not dark because all the items are handled by Gnome Shell themes!
So after enabled Dark mode in
Settings > Appearance > Window colors, you also need to do following steps to enable the Dark shell theme.
1. Go to https://extensions.gnome.org/ in your web browser, and click the link which says ‘Click here to install browser extension‘ if you see it.
terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and run command to install chrome-gnome-shell package:
sudo apt install chrome-gnome-shell
3. Then install the first ‘User Themes‘ gnome shell extension by going to this page and turning on the toggle icon.
4. Finally open Gnome Tweaks (install it from Ubuntu Software if you don’t have it).
Navigate to Appearance tab, and select ‘Yaru-dark’ as the shell theme.
That’s it. Enjoy!